02 Dec BWC Business Updates / Responsible RestartOhio
- $5 Billion Dividend : At the request of Governor DeWine, BWC’s Board of Directors approved a $5 billion dividend to ease the financial pressures that employers may be experiencing amid the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. This is BWC’s third dividend in 2020. The checks will go out in mid-December. The December dividend will be 327.46% of an employer’s 2019 net premium. As with past dividends, BWC will apply any outstanding balances and any amounts exceeding the outstanding balance will be sent to the employer. Employers must be in good standing as of 10/2/20 to receive this dividend.
- Second Round of Masks: BWC has shipped over 20 million masks to employers since May as part of our “We Got You Covered” program. We will be distributing a second round of face coverings to employers starting in December. These masks are to support and enhance any workplace safety and health efforts employers already have in place. Employers don’t need to request these masks. There is no extra charge to employer premiums. If an employer does not need these, we ask they donate them to others.
- Virtual consulting: Like many employers, BWC is adapting to new ways to keep our organization running smoothly while providing seamless service to our employer customers. In my role as a business consultant, I work with employers to review ways to lower premiums and evaluate potential BWC’s programs. I also work closely with our safety teams who can assist employers with their safety programs. Working remotely has not stopped us from being able to work effectively with employers. Employer Service Specialists, Business Consultants and Safety Consultants can schedule virtual visit with employers. We are still here to help.
- Retail Compliance Unit: Governor DeWine announced the creation of a statewide Retail Compliance Unit to monitor, encourage, and assist retail establishments with the updated mask and distancing order. Working in partnership with the Ohio Department of Health, BWC will be instrumental in this compliance effort by assisting in administering the program. This is to protect the safety and health of frontline workers. I have attached a document from the Ohio Department of Health to assist with any employers with questions on this requirement.
- New Administrator: BWC has a new administrator. John Logue joined the Bureau of Workers’ Compensation as Chief of Strategic Direction in April 2019. John is a veteran of Ohio workers’ compensations system with a background that includes more than 25 years of experience in various client service and leadership roles.
Lorrie Goodnight, Regional Business Consultant
Phone: 330-471-0950 Cell (614) 357-8032.